Thursday, October 29, 2009

Bilbao update

Well, I haven't had any luck yet understanding why there are so many X-es around.  Other than that, this place is shopping heaven!  Clothes are a fraction of the price of Paris - though I still don't regret my swedish undies.  Speaking of which, I couldn't help myself.  On my second trip to Stockholm (last week), I bought another pair.  This time, they're not only Bjorn Borgs.  They're (get this) Lucky Underwear.  According to the package, Bjorn Borg guarantees that if I slip them on, somebody else will take them off.  Which sounded great, until a friend mentioned it might be a nurse.  Ah well.



Also, hurray for tapas!  Known here as pintxos.

And finally, what a way to end a day!  A salivatingly sublime seven-course dinner, complete with wine, cava (spanish sparkling wine) and coffee.

Here was the menu:
- foie gras with fig and raspberry jellies
- cod salad
- gambas (honkin' big, pink shrimp, unpeeled - as in, with the head, legs and all) with different home-made mayonaisess
- shrimp and mushroom risotto (yummy!)
- a main course - I chose pig's cheek (I'm not sure what the proper name is, could be hog's mug, pork jowl), deliciously tender in a prune gravy, with a side of chestnut puree
- warm puff pastry filled with apple compote, served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, some creme anglaise, and a raspberry coulis
- coffee - or in my case, camomile tea (there's only so much I can take, come midnight and with the prospect of work tomorrow bright and early)

Off to bed now!

3 comments:

  1. ¡Que cabrón! ¡Menudo empancine!

    El Rober esta empancinado.
    ¿Quien los desempancinará?
    El desempanzinador que lo desempancine
    Buen desempanzinador será.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the end of the day or the career, what you remember is the food, the meals with colleagues, the meatballs in Stockholm, the Borg undies. I should have had a closer look at those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, yup, no long-term memory for conference material. A typical interpreter!

    ReplyDelete