Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sleeping in other people's beds

... a how-to guide.

It seems like over the last month or two, I haven't slept in the same bed for more than a week in a row, if that.  It's required some adjusting.  Now before you gutter-minded people jump to tawdry conclusions, let me state for the record:  while it's true these beds were not mine, neither were they currently occupied by anyone else.  So there.


This has been one of the less enchanting aspects of hopping from country to country.  Hotels are nice, but they're not quite home.  And not knowing where my life was headed exactly, I've been moving from place to place, paying for the roof over my head, but never quite settling in.  I did keep quite a few beds warm for their occupants though.  I find it's a little like watering the plants.

I find it important to have a few personal items to feel more comfortable though.  Things like your own pillow, sheets if possible, and even a sleeping bag all mean you don't feel so much the stranger in a strange cot.  Having your own towel also helps feel more at home.  And then, little things, like really unpacking, even if you're only staying a week.  Making the most of the amenities that are available, like high-speed internet, a television, and a washing-machine are a must.  Oh, and just learning to adjust to the mood of a particular apartment.  For instance, some places have narrow bathrooms, others have bidets.  Though bidets are rare in North America, when in Rome, do as the romans.  My current digs come with a fantastic, 1000+ collection of DVDs.  And I have a lot of time on my hands for the moment.  Who could ask for better timing?

Ultimately, the best way not to get too worn out by all the jostling and unpacking only to re-pack in short order is to apply a surfing mentality.  Just ride the wave, take what's offered, enjoy it, don't compare, and eventually, if you get tired, find somewhere where you feel at home and go stay there a little while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment