Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Guiana travel log - part 1


Airport, pre-departure, Paris

Pleasantly warm after a silky shot of quality cognac, I feel it is far past time to rekindle this traveler’s blog.  So here goes.

It’s been… far longer than I expected, but I am once again on bye-bye-bed regimen.  This consists of no more than two consecutive nights spent in any single bed. I am sitting at Paris’ southern airport, Orly, in the business lounge. One of life’s small pleasures, this one is a bit sparsely stocked, but the spirits, as mentioned, are present.
Boarding has just been called, but the hostess at the entrance has kindly advised us to remain in the comfortable exclusivity of the lounge – the French call it “salon”, a far more civilized name – until she calls again. I surmise in order to advise us that it’s time for Business travelers to board.  For indeed, I have reached that point in my life where I’m being ferried around in business class.  At least, for trips going to such distant locales.
Today, I head off to Fort-de-France, Martinique, where I will spend a whopping twelve hours before moving on to scenic (I hope) French Guiana. I look forward to many photo ops, long hours, and few mosquito bites.  I’m just about fully equipped with all manner of vaccines, pharmaceuticals, and sprays.  It’s amazing how dangerous those little buggers are.  A wonder the US hasn’t declared war on mosquitoes.  But then the locally grown variety is considerably less deadly than their tropical cousins.

Next stop, the Caribbean!

No comments:

Post a Comment